Mac J. Hall shares story behind the Hurricane Canal
Thanks to Mac J Hall for being our speaker at the August dinner meeting. Mac works for Hurricane City and shared the story of how the Hurricane Canal was conceived and built by the early pioneers.
Work was done by local men paid for by the canal's shareholders, whose lands on the Hurricane Bench were to be irrigated by the canal. The 2,000 acres of new agricultural lands allowed the settlement of Hurricane after 1906. The work and the shareholder system were organized by James Jepson and John Steele, an ancestor of chapter member Rex Jensen. The superintendent of construction was J.T. Willis.
Although the canal no longer carries water, hikers can enjoy a trail that runs along the dry canal. Eleven of the twelve tunnels remain accessible to hikers and some members of our chapter enjoyed exploring them.